An Invitation to Shuswap Cycling Club members:
We all love cycling in the Shuswap! You are invited to join in the fun of the Saturday, Sept. 16 Salmon Arm Bike for Your Life Century Ride – Salmon Arm’s Community Bike Ride since 1998.
Choose one of four local scenic routes: 10K, 35K, 75K or 100K. Each route will be well marked with Aid Stations, Mobile First Aid, friendly Volunteers, a Shuswap Lady Striders hosted BBQ Lunch at Blackburn Park, local Musicians and draw prizes.
Registration is quick and easy here. $30/Adult, $50/Family, Children under 18 years: $5. Profits from this “all volunteers” fun and affordable event support the Second Harvest Food Bank and the Shuswap Trail Alliance: $24,000 since 2012.
Sat., Sept. 16 Bike for Your Life – Volunteer Help Wanted:
- Blackburn Park Venue set up on Sept. 16: 6 a.m. – 7:30 a.m. and take down: 3 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Contact: Pat Danforth – firstname.lastname@example.org – Set up and takedown pop-up awnings, tables & chairs placed, help move other gear
– Advance MUSCLE and TRUCK help with tent pick-up and/or tables and chairs for an hour or two would also be appreciated. Sept. 13 for pop up tents and Sept. 15 for tables and chairs. All are returned on Sept. 16.
- Course Marshalls on routes on Sept. 16: – details to be confirmed. Contact: Roger Beardmore – email@example.com (after Aug. 18)
- Finish Line Celebration on Sept. 16 – two, 2.5 hours shifts: 9:30 ‘til 12 noon or 12 noon to 2:30 p.m. suggested. Contact: Pat Danforth – firstname.lastname@example.org (cheer on cyclists as they arrive back from their ride!)
Shifts are 2 hours and begin at 9:00, 11:15 and 1:00
- Route signs and bollards post ride pick up Sept. 16: 3 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Contact: Roger Beardmore – email@example.com (after Aug. 18) (4 routes to cover with pickup truck or car with trailer.
George – Ride 2017 chair and event publicity coordinator
Registration is now open for Shuswap Wild Wonders’ first bike camp, coming this August. This unique program offer participants a chance to enjoy three beautiful locations while riding their bike!
Eagle River Nature Trails, Larch Hills Ski Area and the trail from Balmoral to White Lake will be the backdrop to team-building activities, sensory awareness practice and developing a deep connection with nature.
Participants should be able to bike independently and have their own helmet and bike.
The lead instructors for this camp include Sandra Major, Adam Barraball and Ceren Caner.
Visit the Shuswap Wild Wonders camps page to register.
The 2017 Ride Don’t Hide is June 25th. There is still time to register! Register now online at http://ridedonthide.com/bc/join-the-movement/register
Ride Don’t Hide is a community bike ride that is happening in 35 cities across Canada from BC to Newfoundland to raise awareness and funds for mental health. All funds raised goes back into local programs and initiatives.
Routes vary from a 10 km family ride, to 32 km or 54 km road rides.
The Shuswap Cycling Club hosted its annual Bike Swap during the Salty Street Fest. The bike swap was very successful, lots of kids and playful adults bought and sold their bikes.
Thanks to all that bought and sold their bikes and gear through the swap. We raised $757 to use for upcoming projects and trail work! Thanks also to the volunteers! We had 9 volunteers helping in 40 minute shifts, led by Maya & Zakia who were kept busy running the cash box and stayed from setup to tear down.
Thanks to everyone that participated in and helped make this another successful Bike to Work week!! Don’t forget to log your hours, and keep biking!
Continue reading “Bike to Work (and School) Week Update”
Let’s get out there and help other volunteers and the fine folks at the Shuswap Trail Alliance buff up our favourite trails. The Shuswap Cycling Club and the Shuswap Trail Alliance are looking for volunteers to help out this Saturday the 10th of Oct 2015 from 8:00 till 13:00.
South Canoe & Rubberhead – pick your favorite trail to work on. Play in the dirt to get some new trails ready for the 2016 season.
We will have a BBQ and refreshments at the Party Pit at South Canoe for all the volunteers. Bring a friend a pair of gloves, water, extra tools. Your bike to cruise the trails and check out the pump track.
See you at South Canoe or Rubberhead